Policy & Advocacy
- Increase the participation rate of eligible people in all nutrition assistance programs.
- Increase the adequacy of benefits provided by federal nutrition assistance programs.
- Expand the eligibility criteria for the federal nutrition assistance programs so that the programs may reach more people in need.
- Increase access to federal nutrition assistance programs.
- Streamline and simplify federal nutrition assistance program administration.
- Improve the quality of meals served through the federal nutrition assistance programs.
- Increase funding for federal nutrition assistance programs, including state and federal emergency food programs, to meet the needs of hungry New Yorkers.
While charitable and voluntary contributions to this effort are very important, we believe that it is a governmental responsibility to ensure that all New Yorkers are able to secure adequate food and nutrition.
The COVID-19 pandemic has created unprecedented demand for access to federal nutrition assistance programs. Federal and state governments responded swiftly with program flexibilities and increases that had a measurable impact on food insecurity. Now, a focused and coordinated long-term response that makes permanent the most impactful lessons learned during the pandemic is needed to ensure all eligible New Yorkers can receive the food assistance they need.
This public policy platform makes recommendations for protections and improvements in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); school meal programs including the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP); out-of-school programs including the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), and Pandemic-EBT; and the Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC).
Latest Policy and Advocacy News
White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health
Hunger Solutions New York and Community Food Advocates Launch Healthy School Meals for All NY Kids Campaign
Stay up to date
Get the latest news, action alerts, press releases, and hunger research delivered to your inbox.