Pandemic-EBT: Food Benefits for Families
P-EBT Benefits for the 2020-21 School Year
P-EBT provides food benefits to children who qualify for free or reduced-price school meals and are learning remotely. Some children under age six who participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program may also qualify for P-EBT. Benefits have been extended for the 2020-21 school year. More information will be available soon, here and on the NYS P-EBT webpage.
Here are some things families can do now to prepare:
- All families should be sure their child’s school has their correct mailing address on file. Ensuring schools have accurate, up-to-date information can help avoid delays in issuing P-EBT benefits.
- Be sure to keep your P-EBT card if you received one during the first round of P-EBT.
- Students who are newly eligible for free and reduced-price meals must fill out a school meals application and return it to your child’s school to be eligible for P-EBT benefits. This includes those who:
- Did not receive P-EBT last school year, but their household income is at or below the income limits for free or reduced price school meals.
- Are new to the school district, including kindergarten students; prekindergarten students, if receiving school lunch through the National School Lunch Program; and students who have moved to the area.
- Have experienced job or income loss at any point in the school year.
- Families do not need to submit a new school meal application if:
- They received P-EBT for last school year.
- Their child received free or reduced-price school meals in the 2019-2020 school year.
- Their child attends a school using the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) to offer free meals to all students.
- One or more people in your household receives benefits through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
P-EBT benefits will be issued automatically by the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (NYSOTDA).
Stay up to date
Get the latest news, action alerts, press releases, and hunger research delivered to your inbox.