Find Disaster Relief


Currently there are no declared disasters in New York State.

If you need replacement SNAP Benefits

SNAP recipients who lost food purchased with SNAP benefits due to household misfortune can request replacement SNAP benefits.

Examples of household misfortune include:

  • Extended power outage (4 hours or more)
  • A flood
  • An equipment failure (refrigerator/freezer)
  • Failure to pay a utility bill

Such situations may affect large geographic areas or be specific to a single household.

What does a household need to do to report a loss of food?

  • Return a signed and completed Form 2291 “Request for Replacement of Food Purchased with SNAP Benefits” (attached) to your SNAP/HRA office either by mail or in person within 10 days of the loss.
  • If you cannot return the form within 10 days, you must immediately call the SNAP/HRA office to verbally report the loss. You will have 10 days to return the form after you report.
  • Make sure to print clearly.

Return the form to your local SNAP or HRA office.

Your local Nutrition Outreach and Education Program (NOEP) Coordinator can submit the form on your behalf. Your NOEP Coordinator is a free and confidential partner in your community who can answer any questions you have about SNAP and will work with you to get the forms submitted.

Visit http://www.FoodHelpNY.org for a list of Nutrition Outreach and Education Program (NOEP) offices.

Visit http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/directory/food_stamp_centers.shtml for a listing of SNAP offices in New York City, or call 311.

Visit http://otda.ny.gov/workingfamilies/dss.asp for a listing of SNAP offices and contact information outside of NYC, or call 1-800-342-3009.

Other things you should know:

  • The attached form is a legal statement indicating a loss of food due to a household misfortune and to the cost of the food lost.
  • The SNAP office may use available information regarding power outages and flooding to confirm the accuracy of the statement.

Click here to download form 2291.