Get to know Hunger Solutions New York:
Hunger Solutions New York, Inc., incorporated in 1989 and based in Albany, is a statewide nonprofit organization that strives to alleviate hunger in New York by promoting awareness of hunger, public policies that contribute to ending hunger, and participation in federal nutrition assistance programs such as SNAP, WIC, the Summer Food Service Program, the School Breakfast Program, and the Child and Adult Care Food Program.
Summary of position:
The Communications Specialist reports to the Director of Communications and is responsible for providing support for the organization’s communications strategies and public messaging including: content development, social media, editing and proofreading, and contributing to the organization’s website. Key responsibilities will include:
- Assist the Director in development and execution of overall communications strategies to promote Hunger Solutions New York’s programs, public policy priorities, and federally funded nutrition programs
- Coordinate with internal teams to identify priorities and develop communications plans in support of each program area
- Develop public-facing content including reports, e-newsletters, outreach materials, fact sheets, social media content, etc.
- Work closely with Creative Manager to align content for high-impact messaging, design and layout
- Develop social media calendar and related content
- Assist in management of CRM platform (Salsa), mailing lists, sign-up functions, email development and distribution
- Assist with writing and editing press advisories, press releases, op-eds, and letters to the editor
- Monitor national, state, and local anti-hunger partners in order to collaborate on messages and campaigns
- Edit/proofread all materials before publication
- Edit/update website content (WordPress) as needed
The position necessitates a basic understanding of the role of federal nutrition programs in alleviating hunger, and the professionalism required to promote the programs to the satisfaction of our government and private funders. It is imperative that the candidate be a skilled and accurate writer and editor, able to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects, work with colleagues with ease, focus on details and strive for excellence. Writing samples will be requested as part of the interview process.
The Communications Specialist should possess the following qualifications:
- Must be committed to Hunger Solutions New York’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3-5 years of professional experience in communications or related field
- Preference given to candidate with non-profit or human services experience
- Proven project management skills
- Must have the ability to translate policy/technical information on federal nutrition programs into a clear message for target audiences
- Familiarity with these programs is a plus:
- Microsoft Suite
- Google Suite
- SalsaLabs or other CRM platform
- Google Analytics
- Social Media Channels
Hunger Solutions New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating a culture that is rewarding to employees and provides each team member with the ability to continually grow and learn. Hunger Solutions New York is a champion of and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion among all stakeholders. Hunger Solutions New York recognizes the need for work/life balance and provides a flexible working environment for all employees. Office culture is casual and professional.
Compensation & benefits:
Hunger Solutions New York is committed to its employees and thusly provides a competitive compensation package. Salary will be commensurate with experience, but is expected to be $48K. Hunger Solutions New York offers fully paid benefit premiums including health, dental, life, short- and long-term disability, and a retirement plan that offers a 5% match (different vesting periods apply to each benefit and will be discussed as part of the interview process). A Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) may be available depending upon the health insurance package chosen. Additionally, Hunger Solutions New York offers a generous amount of vacation, sick and holiday time off to each employee.
To be considered for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to Jobs@HungerSolutionsNY.org. Please include “Communications Specialist” in the subject line of your email.