Hunger Solutions New York, incorporated in 1989, is a statewide nonprofit organization that strives to alleviate hunger in New York State by promoting awareness of hunger, public policies that contribute to ending hunger, and participation in federal nutrition assistance programs, such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), WIC, the Summer Food Service Program, the School Breakfast Program, and the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). Hunger Solutions New York administers the Nutrition Outreach and Education Program (NOEP), a statewide SNAP outreach, education, and application assistance network; a targeted SNAP outreach project on Long Island; WIC Help New York, and other outreach programs. As a state and nationally recognized leader on the issue of hunger, Hunger Solutions New York works collaboratively with a variety of state, regional, and national partners to improve policies and programs that contribute to alleviating hunger.
Accounts Payable Manager Overview:
The Accounts Payable Manager will provide overall support to the Hunger Solutions New York fiscal department. The Accounts Payable Manager will be responsible for all aspects of maintaining and improving the organizational accounts payable cycle, including all processes, systems, and procedures necessary to accurately and efficiently pay vendors in a timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The ideal candidate will be focused, professional, have a strong attention to detail, and be able to manage time-sensitive work. Ability to meet deadlines and work both independently and as part of a team will be expected. A strong knowledge of accounts payable processing is expected, this includes working with vendors and staff as well as processing and tracking payments. Successful individuals must have experience participating in month and year end close out, account and bank reconciliations and an ability to apply accounting principles and procedures to ensure accurate and timely reporting. The incumbent will represent the organization and its work externally, and therefore must be professional and have a basic knowledgeable about the programs and issues.
Technical programs used in the role include QuickBooks Premium Non-Profit Edition, Microsoft Office, ExpenseWire, and online meeting and webinar platforms such as Zoom.
- Undergraduate degree Business Administration or Accounting preferred, Associate degree in business or accounting required or commensurate experience
- 5-7 years of accounts payable experience
- Experience with the accounts payable process and account reconciliation
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to analyze and grasp a situation quickly from different perspectives and create well-reasoned solutions
- Interpersonal skills that establish and maintain excellent relationships and credibility quickly
- Ability to communicate and present information, both verbally and written, effectively with all levels and departments of the organization.
- Ability to join a strong team environment while working independently to achieve key objectives
- Demonstrates ethical and moral behavior, unquestionable integrity and character
- Excellent PC skills utilizing QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, Word, and Adobe PDF
The Accounts Payable Manager will manage and execute all aspects of the organizations accounts payable process including:
- Ensure all policies and procedures are followed, making suggestions for improvement where possible
- Lead communication efforts on all AP process changes, initiatives, and procedures
- Prepare payable reports (weekly/monthly)
- Collect and provide data as required for cash management
- Responsible for the accurate and efficient processing of all Accounts Payable operations and functions. This includes invoice review, proper allocation, ExpenseWire input, general ledger input, payment review and processing (check, ACH, credit card), and credit card reconciliation
- Collaborate with staff to ensure proper recording of all expenses
- Collaborate with vendors to ensure proper documentation and timing of charges and payments
- Prepare accurate and timely annual 1099 filings
- Assist in the annual financial audit to ensure auditors are provided with the necessary information and documentation to complete a timely audit
- Research and resolve accounts payable discrepancies and payment rejections
- Perform additional accounting duties as assigned and in accordance with established procedures and accepted accounting principles
Position reports to Director of Accounting & Finance. This position is based in Albany at the Hunger Solutions New York, Inc.’s offices. Candidate must be in the office a minimum of two days per week with the potential for additional flexibility after 6 months.
Salary of $10,000-$15,000, commensurate with experience. Payment structure and benefits are negotiable (employee, independent contractor, hourly). Hunger Solutions New York offers a very competitive benefits package including, health, dental, and life insurance, short and long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan with the potential for an organization match up to 5% (available after 6 months of employment). Casual, professional, flexible work environment.
To be considered for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to Jobs@HungerSolutionsNY.org. Please include “Accounts Payable Manager – Part Time” in the Subject Line of your email.
Hunger Solutions New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer.