News & Action Center
General, Child Nutrition, Senior Nutrition, SNAP
Plan of Action to End Hunger in America
October 15, 2015
The Food Research and Action Center has released the paper, "A Plan of Action to End Hunger in America." Many of the recommendations build on those in FRAC’s 2009 paper, “Ending Childhood Hunger by 2015: The Essential Strategies for Achieving the President’s Goal” and their collaboration with the National Anti-Hunger Organizations (NAHO) in similar efforts in 2004 and 2009. But the paper responds as well to new research and changes in the economy and policy environments, and reflects their most recent assessment of what is truly needed to end the disgrace of hunger in this country.
Key take-aways/messages from the report include:
1. The combination of the changing economy, political climate and latest research on food insecurity presents a timely window of opportunity to build on what’s working and assess what can and must be done to solve hunger now.
2. Federal nutrition programs benefit millions of people in need. SNAP alone lifted 4.7 million people across the country out of poverty in 2014. But nutrition programs alone cannot carry the burden. Unless employment levels and wages rise substantially and working schedules and benefits and work supports improve, we cannot solve hunger.
3. Similarly stronger government income supports (Unemployment Insurance, EITC and Child Tax Credit, TANF, Social Security, SSI) are essential to reducing hunger.
4. The strategies outlined in the Plan of Action to End Hunger in America offer concrete solutions for addressing hunger and its root cause, poverty, that can be achieved with renewed political will.
5. An overwhelming majority of Americans are looking to government to lead the way in solving hunger.
We hope this resource will provide you with a launching point for further, more in-depth conversations with thought leaders, legislators, colleagues, the media, and others in your community. You are invited to use or modify the following on your social media channels:
- The nation needs a bipartisan recognition that the failure to address hunger is a human, economic, and fiscal disaster - @fractweets http://bit.ly/1VE1gbt
- Creating jobs & increasing wages are key strategies to #endhungernow. Read more in @fractweets plan of action: http://bit.ly/1VE1gbt
- New plan of action to end hunger from @fractweets says #SNAP is key strategy to #endhungernow. Read more: http://bit.ly/1VE1gbt
- New plan of action to end hunger from @fractweets says #childnutrition progs are key strategy to #endhungernow. Read more: http://bit.ly/1VE1gbt
- Fed nutrition programs plus other supports can end hunger now. Read @fractweets new plan of action to end hunger. http://bit.ly/1VE1gbt
- We have the tools to #endhungernow, but we need the political will. Read more in @fractweets new plan of action to end hunger: http://bit.ly/1VE1gbt
A Plan of Action to End Hunger in America
Ending Childhood Hunger by 2015: The Essential Strategies for Achieving the President's Goal