News & Action Center
Call to action! Say NO To Block Granting of Child Nutrition Programs
Join the Food Research and Action Center and Hunger Solutions New York in strong opposition to a bill that would block-grant child nutrition programs. You can support to the effort by adding your organization's name to a sign-on letter, and in other ways as well.
The US House's Child Nutrition Reauthorization bill, voted out of the Education and the Workforce Committee on May 18th, includes a three-state block grant proposal for school meal programs. Block granting would severely threaten these vital safety net programs. In fact, a block grant would:
- Block a state’s ability to respond to increased need or rising program costs because funding would be permanently capped
- Block the federal government’s ability to establish national standards for nutrition quality of meals and eligibility requirements for children
- Block the ability of the programs to reduce hunger, improve health and support learning, by curbing efforts at innovation
- Allow states to divert federal funds from school breakfast and lunch, afterschool snacks, and summer meals to other projects
Join us in sending a powerful message to Congress to protect child nutrition programs. Here’s how:
- Add your organization's name to the sign-on letter opposing the block grant provision by June 30th.
- Tweet out the link to the sign-on letter (http://bit.ly/28MCYJ1) and encourage your national, state and local partners to sign on. Use this hashtag: #STOPTHEBLOCK
- Find updates on Child Nutrition Reauthorization and sample tweets at FRAC’s Legislative Action Center.